Sunday, February 4, 2007

Reese Winter Road Race

Well, we survive that one. The weather predictions for yesterday were right on the money. It was cold, and it was windy. It was also snowing - or maybe just loose snow was blowing around?

I was also well insulated. Too much so. Within the first 5 minutes, I was sweating. But I stayed bundled up to prevent freezing. I also remembered to bring a scarf to breathe through, so I'm not wheezing today like I could be.

Almost 75 runners and 5 walkers showed up yesterday. We are either the dedicated or the crazies.

The thing I forgot to bring was the camera, so no shots of me or J crossing the finish line. Even though it was bitter cold, I was happy to see J and our running friend B waiting for me at the finish to cheer me on. I sped up at the finish and gave it my all (as usual) and finished with a nasty side stitch and my glasses so fogged up from the scarf-breathing that I was in a stupor trying to walk off my side stitch. Plus at that point I needed my sunglasses from the glare of all that white.

The YakTrax were a blessing. The start and the finish were all ice and snow. The roads of Reese were surprisingly clear of snow, unlike the side streets of Bay City which are crap to drive on. Since you are not suppose to use them on dry pavement, I stayed off to the side as much as possible and ran on snow whenever I saw it available. I bought the glow-in-the-dark ones, just in case I feel it necessary to go for a late night jaunt during the winter. (Which is pretty much anytime after work here in Michigan!)

Today there will be no treadmilling. Today is recovery day from our evening with S & A. Red Lobster, drinking, and the three of them playing "Guitar Hero" on PS2. It's a miracle we are up at 10:30am, since we only got home around 3. :-) You have to have a little fun every once in a while! I'm surprised my legs are super sore, but I'm in pretty good shape.

No comments: