Tuesday, January 30, 2007

All hope is not lost, or is it?

Hello - it's me again.

As I was running on the treadmill tonight (horray, ME!), I was thinking about an article I read about diet and exercise, which says that you can diet, or you can exercise and it has the same effect on the body as doing both together. But doing both only works if your exercise (calories burned) cancel out your diet (calories consumed).

In terms I can understand, that means it doesn't matter how much I run if I still cheat on my diet. In other words, my body is smart enough to know it's not going to let go of any more fat until I start eating right. Crap! Foiled again by my own body! What a traitor!

Getting on the treadmill, or going outside for a run if it's decent outside (read: really and truely spring, summer or fall) just takes a little ambition. Sticking to the diet takes willpower. Willpower is alot harder to come by than ambition.

Although I am not obese (anymore), my BMI (Body Mass Index) still is in the overweight catagory of approx. 27.5 (normal weight would be a BMI of 24.9 or lower, I'm going to have to loose 13 more pounds to get to "normal". On the flip side of that, I'm also 12 pounds away from once again being obese. Okay, so I'm "middle of the road" overweight.

People must forget how short I am when I tell them how many more pounds I'd like to loose, because I hear how that is just too much weight for me to try to loose. (Thinking of a certain relative who recently admitted that the nurse is not allowed to say their weight out loud during physicals and the eyes are closed during the event.) Maybe they want to feel better about their own fat, who knows. Given my height, 4' 11" - my ideal-in-my-mind weight would be 105 to 110. So I have about 25 to 30 pounds to go. According to the BMI calculator I found on the internet (and there are lots of them out there!), I'd have to weigh 91 pounds to be underweight, and honey 105 is a long way from 91! I just don't see how I could starve myself that much, especially with running. I haven't seen 91 pounds on the scales in close to 25 years (think jr. high). If you want to throw out the scales completely, I can also say I'd be happy if I was wearing a size 4 in women's clothes. I certainly couldn't see myself in a size 2 because although by then I'd be almost completely flat-chested, I still have hips!

So I guess I've ranted enough on my body being sneaky and sticking to it's guns about cheating on The Diet, so I'll update my miles for the week and get off the computer and plan my meals for tomorrow.

No comments: