Thursday, January 4, 2007

Happy New Year!


So here it is. I said I would do it; start a blog to track my running. Suddenly I realize it's Day 4, and I have no blog . . . and I've already ran a race this year! (See above)


J and I found a 5K race to run on 12/31/06, starting at 11:45pm. We were going to run into the new year. Only problem was that it was 3 hours away in Ohio. That was easily solved by J, he sent the check to register us for the race, printed some maps and booked us a room.


We start out running together, and since it was thru residential streets and a "Rail Trail" similar to ours at home, it was easy to know when midnight struck. Lots of people honking horns and shooting - whatever it was they were shooting. So we yelled "Happy New Year!" to each other and those around us and got off the trail for a moment to celebrate with a new years kiss. Then it was time for J to take off and go his own pace. Have I mentioned it was at least 45 degrees, raining and gusting 15 to 20 mile per hour winds?


Two guesses who got sick and the first one doesn't count. Yep, ME! I had a sore throat by the time the race was over. I was hot from my winter running clothes and soaking wet. Wonderful. The race sponsors gave prizes 7 deep, but I finished 14th in my age group and J finished 10th in his. We did finish in the top 300, so we each received a blinky necklace with the Midnight Train logo on it. I certainly didn't "pull out all the stops" like I had hoped and set the world on fire with a new PR (personal record), but I did finish with a time of 33:58 which is a 10.49 minute mile. (About my average.)
Tuesday and Wednesday were spent alternating between the couch and bed, with lots of sleeping and DayQuil. Today was my first day at work in the new year and I'm not 100% yet. Which makes me wonder, will I be ready for my next 5K race on Saturday? Only time will tell.

No comments: