Wednesday, January 17, 2007

"Health" Food Conspiracy

I say "health" because the foods in question may or may not be truely healthy. But they sure tasted good. But my grocery store doesn't want me buying (or is that eating?) them anymore.

Over the past few months foods J & I like to buy have started disappearing from the shelves. First it was Slim Fast Low Carb 4 packs, then it was Ocean Spray Diet Cranberry Juice (but that re-appeared). Now it's the Ragu (low carb) alfredo and cheese sauces.

I checked Ragu's web site, and I don't see them listed. Guess no one liked the sauces except us. They were really good.

What's next? Dare I mention my current top four favorites for fear they too will disappear?

1) Thomas' Light English muffins. Favorite why? One muffin has 100 calories, 1.5g fat, 6g of protein and a whopping 8g of fiber which brings the carbs down to 16g, which isn't bad. Also, super-yummy toasted with a tablespoon of reduced-fat Crunchy Jif.

2) Mission Carb Balance Soft Taco size Tortillas. One tortilla has these stats: 110 calories, 2.5g fat, 5g of protein and it's 11GRAMS of fiber knocks the carbs down to SEVEN, and they make really tasty soft tacos, chicken or beef. Sometimes just for fun we eat two at a time! That's a lot of fiber!

3) General Mills Fiber One Oats & Peanut Butter Chewy Bars. This one had me in heaven when I discovered they taste like peanut butter rice krispy treats. Hell ya! A little high at 150 calories with 4.5g of fat and a little low with 3g of protein, these babies knock your socks off with 9GRAMS of fiber, which brings the carb count to 19grams.

4) Quaker Instant Weight Control Maple & Brown Sugar Oatmeal. One packet has 160 calories, 3g of fat, 7g of protein, 6g of fiber and 23g of carbs. Just not a good stand-alone breakfast, as 160 calories only fills me up for about 1.5 hours.

Can you tell I like my fiber? But it has to taste good too. I'm not gonna eat tree bark just to get fiber.

No comments: